I believe a strong Alexandria is built on a shared vision. The Empower Alexandria Plan is a community-based vision focused on making Alexandria the best place to live, work, and prosper in America. In Alexandria, we come for the history. The Empower Alexandria Plan is my commitment to ensure we stay for the future.
— Dak Hardwick
I. GETTING THE BASICS RIGHT
Alexandria will deliver world-class municipal services.
- We will set all our kids on a path to success by providing access to high-quality education, from pre-K through high school and beyond, because Alexandria public schools are ourschools and every child in an Alexandria public school is our child.
- We will invest in our school infrastructure by both maintaining what we have while building for the future.
- We will strengthen our partnership with the Alexandria City Public Schools and our School Board to provide high quality education to all our kids.
- We will ensure Alexandrians at all income levels, including teachers, public safety providers, and city employees – the very people who serve our city – are not priced out of our community.
- We will consider new approaches to zoning and development that allow for more diverse housing options, including the expansion of affordable housing opportunities.
- We will provide equipment, training, and competitive pay to our public safety members, ensuring we have the best people serving our community and keeping us safe.
- We will ensure our community health services focus on all aspects of a person’s health, including treating and preventing illness.
- We will support the work of health providers and partners who are caring for Alexandrians at all income levels.
- We will support our senior population, ensuring they have the opportunity to remain independent in our community and contribute, with dignity, to the fabric of our city.
Parks and Recreation
- We will prioritize well-maintained parks and recreational spaces that improve our quality of life by contributing to a healthy, safe, and welcoming environment for everyone.
II. ADVANCING CIVIC INNOVATION
Alexandria will think and act creatively about how we address our city’s needs in the 21st century.
New Funding Approaches
- We will find more and different ways to pay for our community’s future needs and not simply rely on property taxes as our main revenue source.
- We will leverage the financial investments we’ve already made in our community to fund current and future demands in education, infrastructure, public safety, housing, community health, and parks.
- We will professionally manage our city’s assets to maximize the taxpayer’s investment and contribute to the greater good of all our residents.
- We will aggressively work to form more public-private partnerships to meet urgent needs on issues like school infrastructure, affordable housing, and transportation.
- We will pursue the creation of an Office of Strategic Partnerships to get our city focused on leveraging the resources of the private and non-profit sectors.
- We will accelerate investment in broadband so all Alexandrians have access to the Internet.
- We will find partners to help close the “homework gap” so all students have the ability to access the Internet for learning, whether at home or in our schools.
- We will be a leader in finding local solutions on today’s key issues, including environmental sustainability and climate change, economic competitiveness, and housing affordability.
- We will listen to the needs of our residents and find the right solutions for our community.
III. PROMOTING ECONOMIC SUSTAINABILITY
Alexandria will diversify and strengthen its local economy today to meet the economic challenges of tomorrow.
Smart Growth and Development
- We will focus our development efforts around our Metro stops and along bus rapid transit corridors along Route 1 and in the West End.
- We will continue investing in opportunities that bring key employers, like the National Science Foundation and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, to Alexandria.
- We will expand and encourage small business and entrepreneurship by eliminating unnecessary barriers to starting or expanding a business.
- We will make it easier to get around Alexandria by foot, bike, Metro, bus, or car by continuing to invest in transit and transportation infrastructure and smart traffic management technologies.
Workforce Development and Training
- We will strengthen the relationship between the City of Alexandria and the Northern Virginia Community College to develop better pathways to employment for all our residents.
- We will engage Alexandria employers, both small and large, to understand and meet their future workforce needs.
Download the PDF